Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] OASIS logo and trademark issues?

Charles Schulz wrote:
> I don't think that a GPL logo would make lots of sense. GPL is for
> software,

I understand. I don't really know what to suggest. But a retired lawyer
who understands open source promised to prepare a suggestion in a day or
so (and I'm sure he'll remind us that this won't be "legal advice"). You
might have seen him writing articles on Groklaw ("Marbux"). I'll forward
whatever he says to this list.

> One important thing to remember though is that we may not want
> everybody to use this logo freely. The OASIS and the different TCs may
> want to grant it for use only to applications that are ODF-compliant,
> for instance.

I think we should have a separate "ODF-compliant" logo. It might look
very similar (e.g. the OASIS logo with a checkmark), but we must allow
icons without any type of compliance. Icons are just there to say "this
is an ODF file". For example, we'd want Konqueror (KDE file browser) to
come with ODF icons even if Konqueror can't read those files at all. We
also want people to put ODF files on their websites to download and to
put the ODF logo next to them.

Best,
Daniel.
--