Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] Carol's questions on OpenDoc XML.org Knowledge base

> 3) I moved the "Open Standard Efforts" content to a wiki page,
> http://opendocument.xml.org/open-standards-efforts, so readers can add to it,
> and I included your suggested intro paragraph below. Two questions: Are we sure
> "Open Standard Efforts" is a descriptive title? I didn't get the idea of
> official government adoption from that title (but maybe that's just me). Also,
> how is this page different from our "Deployments: Public Sector"
> http://opendocument.xml.org/deployments-public-sector page? I presume
> "Deployments" features government agencies that are *using* OpenDocument, and
> "Open Standards Efforts" lists governments that are recommending or mandating
> its use to their constituents or agencies, but I'm not sure. (Again, maybe
> that's just me.)

No, you are right. It's about governments recommending and mandating
ODF. Thus, "Open Standard Efforts" is probably misleading or vague.
However, I'm not sure what the best title would be!?

> 4) I created a new KB page for "Committees" that provides links to the two
> OASIS Committees and their charters. It also lists the OASIS Sponsor members
> involved and provides links to both Committees' full member rosters. Does this
> accomplish what you want with "Vendor Support"?

Yes, it does. Thanks!

> I hesitate to try to reproduce and maintain a list of ODF Alliance members and
> wonder if we include them, why not member lists from other supporting
> organizations? We feature links to ODF Alliance (and other orgs) from our
> Resources directory, and invite anyone to post a testimonial, deployment, case
> study, product listing.

We for sure should not reproduce and maintain a list of ODF Alliance
members. The list changes too quickly and our focus is not the ODF
Alliance. However, the strong vendor presence within the ODF
Alliance is an important pro-ODF argument. Thus, there should be
links to http://www.odfalliance.org/about.php in places where people
might look for it.

People new to ODF ask themselves who supports ODF. This key question
should be easily answered by having people look at the TC and
Alliance member lists.

> I also created a "Specification" page in the KB, with links to the schema
> documents. Please take a look and let me know if this is okay.

Great! Thanks!

Best regards,
Erwin