Subject: RE: [odf-adoption] XML 2007

I was very excited about the Lotus Symphony announcement and downloaded it the other day and installed it yesterday. I tried to use it today – my system started misbehaving so I uninstalled. It’s beta and I’m running Vista so even the slightest thing could cause a problem ;-)  I’m anxious to get started using Symphony as it seems more like a “product” to me – polished UI, lots of info on a website geared towards an end user rather than a developer, that kind of thing. I think particularly being able to show off some of the accessibility stuff would be a great idea. While I’ve only used OpenOffice, I’m guessing each application based on ODF has its strengths and weaknesses (and hopefully they’re not all the same). Playing to the strengths – that is, showing functionality A in tool A, functionality B in tool B, etc. shows how most users really work. We use the tool best suited to the task at hand (hopefully). Is there some functionality that each vendor can say it excels at, and then build the demo around those strengths? I wish I had more direct experience with each of the different products to come up with some other suggestions …

Mary

From: Dee Schur [mailto:dee.schur@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 4:32 PM
To: robert_weir@us.ibm.com
Cc: odf-adoption@lists.oasis-open.org; mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org; 'Carol Geyer'

Hey Rob,

Well, we’ve done all kinds of things with InterOps. With one standard, each vendor was a part of a book store supply chain. Another InterOp, each vendor was a group of financial institutions exchanging secure access to a record, etc.

Imagine that each InterOp participant is a branch of a large company (an enterprise), these branches use different document formats to exchange data; plus most enterprises have historical records (archives). This may be too ambitious but can we think of a scenario where we can successfully fetch, exchange, create and store a document? What about an employment record starting with an application, add resume, interviewer comments, hire contract, personnel, benefits, etc.  Many branches do touch this type of document, no?

This may be way off and I know Mary will have a better idea but you must think like the end-user (obviously) with overwhelming document management issues. Does this help at all?

The sooner we come up with something the better.

Regards,

Dee Schur
OASIS Member Support
www.oasis-open.org
dee.schur@oasis-open.org

Register now for the Open Standards Forum:
"Enabling Transformational Government Through Web Services and SOA"
29-30 Oct 2007  *  London
http://events.oasis-open.org/home/forum/2007