Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] OASIS ODF Adoption TC Draft Minutes for Meeting of 8July 2008

Bart Hanssens <bart.hanssens@skynet.be> wrote on 07/11/2008 03:52:50 PM:

> 07/11/2008 03:54 PM

> > - Rob suggested that we might combine the interoperability talks into
> > one session:  maybe several shorter presentations (20m each) followed by
> > a panel discussion.
>
> Would be a good idea. I've checked my agenda, and if I can get a bursary
> (keeping the taxpayer in mind), I'm interested in giving a presentation
> or workshop on the interop adventures in Belgium as well.
>
> Actually, wouldn't it be possible to spend a few hours or half a day on
> an ODF interoperability camp / workshop or something like that ?
>
> I mean, the tech folks of most ODF vendors will be there and we'll have
> the opportunity to test implementations in Asian languages with feedback
> from native speakers (for example, mixing left-to-right and r-to-l /
> top-bottom languages in one document could yield interesting results)...

We did an interop camp last year, done as a workshop where we all prepared 4 specified documents in advance and then showed how well they loaded with each other's applications at the camp.  We might want to try something similar in Beijing.

But what I was proposing for the 90-120 interop session was something in the main track of the conference rather than in the interop workshop.  So it would be higher level and targeted to a more general audience.  We can really do it either way, of course.  The difference is an audience of maybe 20 people in a workshop versus 40-60 in presentation.

So we can have a workshop and talk among ourselves (which is a good thing).  But we have the opportunity to educate a wider audience as well, if we do something on the main track.

Of course, if the subject matter is very narrow, then we'll attract no additional audience to the presentation.  It will just be the same people who would also be attending the ODF workshop.   So that is the challenge -- do we have anything we can say that would be interesting to a general conference audience?  If not, we just do the interop workshop.

-Rob