Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] Re: MediaObject Proposal for LongDesc

I would like to propose that we move the multimodal proposal to post the June update and accept Chieko's proposal:

(See attached file: proposal-alt-texts.odt)(See attached file: proposal-alt-texts.html)

My reason being that none of the rendering office products are multi-modal to date and our goal was to fix critical gaps and base presentation usability by June. The multi-modal piece is exciting in that it will greatly help DAISY but I worry that we won't have time to address the other issues for the June delivery like keyboard navigation in presentations.

Comments?

Rich

Inactive hide details for "Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com>"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com>

          "Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com>

          03/13/2006 07:55 AM

Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS

cc

office-accessibility@lists.oasis-open.org, "Chieko Asakawa" <CHIE@jp.ibm.com>

Subject

[office-accessibility] Re: MediaObject Proposal for LongDesc

On 10/03/06, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi Dave, Chieko,
>
>  I read this and see value in it but it does not fully address an interoperability problem with Accessibility APIs.
>
>  In MSAA, Java, or ATK on Gnome there is the notion of an accessibleName an AccessibleDescription. Description would provide the equivalent of longdesc. It provides additional verbose text to the user when asked.

>  So in the case of an OK button:
>
>  The accessibleName is would be "OK" and is the equvalent of a label
>  The accessibleDescription might be "Activating this button will result in the indexing of your mail"

I agree on this as a general proposition.
However I am trying to improve on this for different modalities, by enabling
the provision of media other than text?

My basic content model for anything in a document not
in the same modality as the prime document (typically text)
is as below

>  <define name="med-mediaobject">
>    <element name="med:mediaObject">
>      <oneOrMore>
>        <ref name="med-imageobject"/>
>        <ref name="med-textobject"/>
>        <ref name="med-audioobject"/>
>        <ref name="med-videoobject"/>
>      </oneOrMore>
>    </element>
>  </define>

So rather than just insert an image/audio clip/video clip etc,
the user can insert  a number of alternatives, supporting
multiple modalities, which hopefully will match those of the reader.

I see this as an improvement of only allowing text as the
single alternative format for the richer media.

So, for Richs example, an audio clip, the author might well add
a text equivalent or a video clip which provide the same information.

It is my hope that this meets the needs that Rich describes.
I also believe it negates the need for either alt text or longdesc
but having read the usage, I'm less sure.
 A development might be to offer guidelines that the first block level
element in the textObject should be that 'brief' description, followed
by a more complete equivalent.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.

GIF image

proposal-alt-texts.odt

Proposal for Short and Long Alternative Texts

Chieko Asakawa - IBM

March 9th, 2006.

Table of Contents

Proposal for Short and Long Alternative Texts 1

1 Issue: Lack of Long Description 1

2 Difference between the Original SVG and the SVG Namespace of ODF 1

3 Suggestion 2

4 Proposal of Schema Modification 3

1 Issue: Lack of Long Description

In general, alternative texts are defined as “short” description for non text elements. ODF defines <svg:desc> for this purpose.

However, it is required to provide additional detailed descriptions for complicated charts, graphics and embedded objects. So, HTML has two types of alternative text.

  • alt” - short description for non text elements

  • longdesc” - complete description for non text elements

longdesc” can provide an additional description for complex content where “alt” is not sufficient.

ODF does not have an element, which corresponds to then longdesc.

OpenDocument Specification v1.0, Section 9.3.9

The <svg:desc> element specifies an alternative text as specified in §5.4 of [SVG].”

ODF Schema (OpenDocument-schema-v1.0-os.rng)

<define name="svg-desc">

<element name="svg:desc">

<text/>

</element>

</define>

2 Difference between the Original SVG and the SVG Namespace of ODF

Alternative text

Long description

SVG

<title>

<desc>

SVG in ODF

<svg:desc>

-

Table 1: Comparison of alternative text function

SVG Specification 1.1, Section 5.4 (http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/struct.html#DescriptionAndTitleElements)

Each container element or graphics element in an SVG drawing can supply a ‘desc’ and/or a ‘title’ description string where the description is text-only.”

Usage of these two element is described in the document, “Accessibility Feature of SVG”.

Accessibility Feature of SVG, Section 2.1 (http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG-access/#Equivalent)

title : Provides a human-readable title for the element that contains it.”

desc : Provides a longer more complete description of an element that contains it.”

3 Suggestion

  • Modify ODF schema by following the original SVG specification

    • Change definition of <svg:desc> in ODF as “long description”

    • Add <svg:title> to ODF as alternative texts

  • Add guideline to ODF specification

Example:

<draw:frame draw:style-name="fr1" draw:name="Object1" text:anchor-type="paragraph" svg:width="12.573cm" svg:height="11.001cm" draw:z-index="0">

<draw:object xlink:href=""./Object" 1" xlink:type="simple" xlink:show="embed" xlink:actuate="onLoad" />

<draw:image xlink:href=""./ObjectReplacements/Object" 1" xlink:type="simple" xlink:show="embed" xlink:actuate="onLoad" />

<svg:title>Graph representing rainfall amount in Tokyo</svg:title>

<svg:desc>Rainfall amount in Tokyo dropped in August, that is the smallest amount in these ten years. However on the other months, the amount is higher than last year.</svg:desc>

</draw:frame>

OpenDocument Specification v1.0, Section 9.3.9

9.3.9 Alternative Text - CURRENT

The <svg:desc> element specifies an alternative text as specified in §5.4 of [SVG].”

PROPOSAL

Provide alternative text for non text element by using <svg:title>. And for providing a longer more complete description, use the element <svg:desc> as specified in §5.4 of [SVG].”

4 Proposal of Schema Modification

  • OpenDocument-schema-v1.0-os.rng, Line number : 6612

<define name="draw-frame">

<element name="draw:frame">

<ref name="common-draw-shape-with-text-and-styles-attlist"/>

<ref name="common-draw-position-attlist"/>

<ref name="common-draw-rel-size-attlist"/>

<ref name="presentation-shape-attlist"/>

<ref name="draw-frame-attlist"/>

<zeroOrMore>

<choice>

<ref name="draw-text-box"/>

<ref name="draw-image"/>

<ref name="draw-object"/>

<ref name="draw-object-ole"/>

<ref name="draw-applet"/>

<ref name="draw-floating-frame"/>

<ref name="draw-plugin"/>

</choice>

</zeroOrMore>

<optional>

<ref name="office-event-listeners"/>

</optional>

<zeroOrMore>

<ref name="draw-glue-point"/>

</zeroOrMore>

<optional>

<ref name="draw-image-map"/>

</optional>

<a:documentation>proposal</a:documentation>

<optional>

<ref name="svg-title"/>

</optional>

<optional>

<ref name="svg-desc"/>

</optional>

<optional>

<choice>

<ref name="draw-contour-polygon"/>

<ref name="draw-contour-path"/>

</choice>

</optional>

</element>
</define>

  • OpenDocument-schema-v1.0-os.rng, Line number : 6919

<a:documentation>proposal</a:documentation>

<define name="svg-title">

<element name="svg:title">

<text/>

</element>

</define>

<define name="svg-desc">

<element name="svg:desc">

<text/>

</element>

</define>

  • OpenDocument-schema-v1.0-os.rng, Line number : 6987

<define name="draw-area-rectangle">

<element name="draw:area-rectangle">

<ref name="common-draw-area-attlist"/>

<attribute name="svg:x">

<ref name="coordinate"/>

</attribute>

<attribute name="svg:y">

<ref name="coordinate"/>

</attribute>

<attribute name="svg:width">

<ref name="length"/>

</attribute>

<attribute name="svg:height">

<ref name="length"/>

</attribute>

<a:documentation>proposal</a:documentation>

<optional>

<ref name="svg-title"/>

</optional>

<optional>

<ref name="svg-desc"/>

</optional>

<optional>

<ref name="office-event-listeners"/>

</optional>

</element>

</define>

  • OpenDocument-schema-v1.0-os.rng, Line number : 7010

<define name="draw-area-circle">

<element name="draw:area-circle">

<ref name="common-draw-area-attlist"/>

<attribute name="svg:cx">

<ref name="coordinate"/>

</attribute>

<attribute name="svg:cy">

<ref name="coordinate"/>

</attribute>

<attribute name="svg:r">

<ref name="length"/>

</attribute>

<a:documentation>proposal</a:documentation>

<optional>

<ref name="svg-title"/>

</optional>

<optional>

<ref name="svg-desc"/>

</optional>

<optional>

<ref name="office-event-listeners"/>

</optional>

</element>

</define>

  • OpenDocument-schema-v1.0-os.rng, Line number : 7030

<define name="draw-area-polygon">

<element name="draw:area-polygon">

<ref name="common-draw-area-attlist"/>

<attribute name="svg:x">

<ref name="coordinate"/>

</attribute>

<attribute name="svg:y">

<ref name="coordinate"/>

</attribute>

<attribute name="svg:width">

<ref name="length"/>

</attribute>

<attribute name="svg:height">

<ref name="length"/>

</attribute>

<ref name="common-draw-viewbox-attlist"/>

<ref name="common-draw-points-attlist"/>