Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] Accessibility Guidelines Next steps

Peter,

The attached below is the updated Glossary section.
Please let me know if there is any question.
Changes are marked red.

Best Regards,
Chieko

-----------------------

6 Glossary of Terms

Accessibility API
      An API (application programming interface) designed for assistive
      technologies to get information from an application and provide the
      information to the users with audio and/or Braille outputs.
      For Example Microsoft Active Accessibility (MSAA), Gnome
      Accessibility API, Java Accessibility API, IAccessible2, etc.

Accessibility checker (or Accessibility evaluation tool)
      A software tool, which checks the accessibility of ODF files
      A user agent

Assistive technology
      An application which assists users who cannot get access to standard
      user interfaces by providing input and output methods, such as audio,
      Braille, software keyboard, magnification. etc.

Caption
      1. A textual description for movies for the deaf and hard of hearing
      people. Open captions are always displayed on the screen, and closed
      caption can be hidden or displayed.
      2. A short textual description for non-textual objects (e.g. images
      and charts) or complicated visual structures (e.g. tables) on a
      screen. A caption is visible on the screen in contrast to alternative
      text, which is not visible on the screen.
Caret
      A visible insertion point in a text editing interface. (See
      "insertion point")

Compatibility (of User Interface)
      The concept of user interface compatibility refers to a set of
      applications that can all be used with similar operations.
      For example, if the Control key plus the Right cursor key is assigned
      to move the caret to the end of the next word in several related
      programs, then this is part of their compatible user interface.

Compatibility (of Accessibility API)
      The concept of accessibility API compatibility refers to a set of
      applications that support the same accessibility API to control
      assistive technologies. Any combination of application and assistive
      technology that supports that API will work to allow users to access
      the compatible application.

Converter
      A user agent which converts documents into ODF files or ODF files
      into other types of documents.
      A tool to help authors or users of other applications.

Cursor
      1. A caret
      2. A marker to indicate a position on a screen.

Cursor keys
      A set of directional keys used for directional operations (such as
      cursor movements or sub-menu operations).

DAISY (Digital Accessible Information SYstem)
      A standard format for digital talking books.

ODF generator
      A user agent (software tool) on the client or server side that
      generates ODF files.
      An authoring tool.

Insertion point
      The position in a string of text where characters will inserted when
      a user inputs text by using text entry method. The insertion point
      should be marked with an input cursor or caret (for sighted users).

Interoperability (of ODF editors)
      The ability to exchange documents among a set of ODF editing
      programs. Any document generated by any member of a set of
      interoperable ODF editing programs can be read by any other ODF
      editing program in the set, and will be rendered as defined in the
      ODF specification.

Landmarks
      For non-visual navigation by using screen readers, a landmark refers
      to a virtual landmark. A blind user can memorize some part of a
      document to use as a landmark for navigation.
      Intentionally inserted supplemental landmarks can greatly help users
      to navigate in a document. The primary type of supplemental landmark
      in the ODF specification is the heading tag "Heading (<text:h>)".

ODF editor
      A user agent with editing capabilities for access and modification of
      ODF documents.
      An authoring tool.

ODF reader
      A user agent without editing capabilities enabling people to access
      ODF content.

Relationships
      The concept of a relationship between visual objects on a screen,
      necessary to understand the screen contents.
      ODF has functionality to add relationships between objects.
      For Example. form:for (See 11.5.7), draw:caption-id (See 9.2.15)

Synchronized media
      A category of multimedia contents where various types of media
      content such as video, audio, text, and graphics are combined by
      using timing and synchronization controls.
      For Example DAISY, SMIL (See http://www.w3.org/TR/SMIL/)

Screen magnifiers
      A software program used to magnify any object on screen (e.g.
      characters, images, etc.)
      For Example office editor tools for low vision users.
      An assistive technology.

Screen reader
      A program used to read aloud from office editor screens or office
      reader screens for non-visual users.
      An assistive technology .

TTS (Text-to-Speech)
      A speech synthesis system: often called TTS because of its ability to
      convert text to speech.

User agent (or ODF user agent)
      Any type of software tool which reads or writes ODF files

Voice office editor
      A user agent with editing capabilities for users who prefer audio
      interactivity.
      An office editor.
      An assistive technology.
      An authoring tool.

Voice office reader
      A user agent without editing capabilities for users who prefer audio
      interactivity.
      An office reader.
      An assistive technology.

---------
Chieko Asakawa, Ph.D.
Accessibility Research
Tokyo Research Laboratory, IBM Research
E-mail: chie@jp.ibm.com
Tel: +81-46(215)4633     Fax: +81-46(274)4282