Subject: Re: [office-comment] ODF and Intelligence Community Information SecurityMarkings

Leonard,

Thanks for researching the issue!

A comment below:

Leonard Mada wrote:
> Hi,
>
> robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
>>> The best I could come up with is:
>>> http://www.gwg.nga.mil/documents/NSG_Geo_Core_MD_Profile.doc
>>>

>> Thanks, that must be it.  It appears to be a vocabulary for
>> annotating a document with security classifications.  Or at least
>> that's what hits me at a first glance.  If we look around we'll find
>> hundreds of vocabularies like this, for various specializations --
>> medical, financial, scientific, etc., oriented with every industry.
>> [...]
>
> Well, the situation is likely more complex.
>
> An interestingcollection of metadata-information can be found at:
> https://metadata.dod.mil/mdr/homepage.htm
>
> I am rather too unfamiliar with metadata and xml, so I'll leave it to
> the experts to judge the information.
>
> What did strike me though, is that when we speak of security - or more
> broadly about content management - there are a set of elements that
> need to be addressed. To quote:
>> UCore is a standard approach for representing a few elements of
>> information that are common to many systems in the DoD and IC. The
>> initial release of UCore covers the geospatial elements of "where"
>> plus an absolute time and time period for "when." In addition, the
>> UCore includes a consistent standard for security markings. In future
>> spirals, UCore may include a small number of other elements such as
>> "what" and "who."
>
> So, the basic question is: can ODF represent/store the "where",
> "when", "what", "who" in a standardised format?

The short answer is yes.

ODF already has document metadata that would be sufficient for the
information you are asking about.

The more interesting question is how to store additional metadata, the
"future spirals" you speak of above, without having to return to the ODF
TC to have the schema extended?

The new metadata mechanism that will be appearing in ODF 1.2 uses RDF
metadata and mechanisms specific to ODF to provide ODF 1.2 documents
with extensible metadata. That is some vertical industry could define
its own metadata for use with ODF documents and not have to wait for
anyone on the ODF TC to become interested in their particular issues.

That has the happy result of allowing communities to use their own
expertise (which is surely greater than ours) in their particular areas
of concern and to use a common format for the data to which the metadata
is attached.

I am hopeful that as soon as the big push on ODF 1.2 is over that the
metadata SC or others will create samples of metadata to encourage
others to use it.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--