Subject: RE: [office-comment] 1.2 para 3.1.7

I have been thinking of this, along with Alex Brown's comment and what I trust was a humorous comment about GUIDs.

It strikes me that the way to offer a specific grounding of a Dublin Core element would be by some sort of "subclassing" of that element.  (The semantics have to be preserved, the syntax and the pragmatics can be more specific and constrained.)

Now, I am not sure how one enacts such an arrangement (and I'd be shocked to learn that any schema system could formalize it).  I wonder whether the ODF 1.2 support for RDF is of any help in this regard.  Hmm ...

 - Dennis

PS: Patrick, Dublin Core has already defined, last time I checked, subcases of <creator> (or <creator> is a subcase, I forget) for variants on authorship, editing, approval, etc.  I agree that if one is going to use someone else's namespace, their definitions and only their definitions are what matters.

Dennis E. Hamilton
------------------
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org

-----Original Message-----
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-comment/200807/msg00020.html
From: Dave Pawson [mailto:dave.pawson@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 08:48
To: office-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

2008/7/2 Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net>:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-comment/200807/msg00019.html
[ ... ]
>> If the semantics are different from dublin core please use a different
>> element name.
>> There is no point in diluting DC semantics.

> Is this a principle you would suggest being applied to all the "foreign"
> elements/attributes in ODF 1.2?
[ ... ].

I'm recommending that if you use dublin core,
use dublin core semantics, as they describe.

> The reason I ask is that if you review the comments I have made on the
> latest draft for the attributes, you will find that we depart from standards
> where we use their attributes more than now and again.

I believe that should be deprecated.

> My personal preference is for use/citation without modification but we are
> hardly writing on a clean slate with ODF 1.2 and so there may be
> modifications that we simply acknowledge as going to persist over time or
> that we plan to change in some future release.

I believe this to be wrong.
Previous bad practice is no reason to continue it.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.

--
This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
OASIS Open Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) TC.

In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
before posting.

Subscribe: office-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org