Subject: Re: [office-comment] Re: [office] Date and Timezone: draft text

"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote on 07/07/2008 02:56:53 AM:

> 2008/7/7  <robert_weir@us.ibm.com>:
>
> > Dave, if no spreadsheets support it -- not Excel, not OpenOffice, not
> > Symphony, not Quattro, not Google, not KSpread, not Gnumeric, not
1-2-3 --
> > then it is hard to seriously assert that it is a common scenario that
is
> > required for the target audience of ODF.
>
> I'm talking about users, not implementations.
> People operate across timezones.

Yes, you are talking about users.  But I am thinking about users, and if
their implementations suddenly started changing date-dependent financial
calculations when their spreadsheet was emailed from Boston to LA, then
chaos would ensue.  There is a 20-year convention in this area, with firm
user expectations in how this works.  We're not going to change this in
ODF 1.2.

-Rob