Subject: Re: [office-comment] Comments on ODF 1.0 Errata 01 Committee Draft 02

> Makoto,
>
> On 08/20/08 15:19, MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) wrote:
> > Michael,
> >
> >> First of all, the paragraph you are referring to here is not subject of
> >> the errata. The errata corrects the last paragraph of section 17.5 only.
> >
> > Agreed as far as my first point is concerned.  I will send another
> > e-mail about this to this ML, incorporate it in the second defect
> > report from Japan, and wait for two months.
> >
> > However, I would argue that my other points are very relevant to the
> > subject of this technical corrigenda.
> >
> > First, the correction to 17.5 appears to try to address #70 in the
> > Japanese defect report.
>
> Yes, this is correct.
> >
> >> 70.  The last para of 17.5
> >>
> >>    All other kinds of IRI references, namely the ones that start with a
> >>    protocol (like http:), an authority (i.e., //) or an absolute-path
> >>    (i.e., /) do not need any special processing. This especially means that
> >>    absolute-paths do not reference files inside the package, but within
> >>    the hierarchy the package is contained in, for instance the file system.
> >>    IRI references inside a package may leave the package, but once they
> >>    have left the package, they never can return into the package or
> >>    another one.
> >>
> >> First, an absolute IRI reference begins with a scheme (rather than protocol),
> >> and it does not start with an authority or an absolute-path.
> >
> > This point has not been addressed, since the corrected wording still
> > allows IRI references to start with an absolute-path.  I believe that
>
> I'm not sure if I do understand this.

The phrase "All other kinds of IRI references, namely the ones that
start with a schema (like http:), an authority (i.e., //) or an
absolute-path (i.e., /) " in the draft errata means either

1) IRI references that start with a scheme  (like http:),
2) IRI references that start with an authority (i.e., //), or
3) IRI references that start with an absolute-path (i.e., /)

The BNF in RFC 3987 is:

   IRI            = scheme ":" ihier-part [ "?" iquery ]
                         [ "#" ifragment ]

   ihier-part     = "//" iauthority ipath-abempty
                  / ipath-absolute
                  / ipath-rootless
                  / ipath-empty

   IRI-reference  = IRI / irelative-ref

   absolute-IRI   = scheme ":" ihier-part [ "?" iquery ]

   irelative-ref  = irelative-part [ "?" iquery ] [ "#" ifragment ]

   irelative-part = "//" iauthority ipath-abempty
                       / ipath-absolute
                  / ipath-noscheme
                  / ipath-empty

Thus, 1) is allowed as IRIs or IRI references.  2) and 3) are allowed as
IRI references only.  Section 4.2 of RFC 3986 clearly states that 2)
and 3) are relative references, and the preceding paragraph in the ODF
spec already covers relative references.  ipath-noscheme and ipath-empty
are not mentioned.

I think that you are inviting problems by not relying on RFCs 3986 and
3987.

Cheers,

--
MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) <EB2M-MRT@asahi-net.or.jp>