Subject: Re: [office-comment] ODF 1.2 References

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 6:39 PM,  <robert_weir@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> "MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given)" <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp> wrote on
> 02/19/2009 10:45:45 PM:
>
>> I don't think you have to reference to  ISO/IEC Directives, Part 2.
>> None of the SC34 standards reference to it, AFAIK.
>>

> I agree.  It is the standard writing a standard, but does place
> requirements on ODF conformance.  So it should not be here.

I suspect you've both missed that ISO/IEC Directives are incorporated
by reference in the 1.2 Notation section of the committee draft as the
source of requirement keyword definitions.  However, the citation
there has been broken if I recall correctly since ISO/IEC:26300-2006.
it does not include the volume number, Part 2. Important because both
volumes have an Annex H, dealing with different subject matter.

Part 2 very definitely imposes conformance requirements in the spec.
It supplies the definitions of "shall" and "shall not" used in other
parts of the spec including the conformance section. Also has the
definitions for the other requirement keywords.

So I suggest that Part 2 Annex H should be cited in the
"indispensable" section. I'm aware of no issue with omitting mention
of Part 1.

The language of the committee draft's section 1.2 is included here for
ease of review:

"Within this specification, the key words "shall", "shall not",
"should", "should not" and "may" are to be interpreted as described in
Annex H of [ISO/IEC Directives] if they appear in bold letters."

Brackets have been in the original since ISO/IEC:26300-2006, I suspect
as a signal for a hyperlink that never got created. The bracketed
portion should read something like "ISO/IEC Directives Part 2 (5th ed.
2004) and the brackets should be removed.

If a hyperlink or URL for the cited volume is desired, either in
section 1.2 or the "indispensable" section, I believe this is an
appropriate URL to use.
<http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_iec_directives_and_iso_supplement>. It
leads to both both the PDF and DOC versions. However, given the
document edition dependence in the ODF spec, one might cite instead to
<http://isotc.iso.org/livelink/livelink?func=ll&objId=4230456&objAction=browse&sort=subtype>
or directly to the PDF version for the particular edition at
<http://isotc.iso.org/livelink/livelink/fetch/2000/2122/3146825/4229629/4230450/4230456/ISO_IEC_Directives__Part_2__Rules_for_the_structure_and_drafting_of_International_Standards__2004__5th_edition___pdf_format_.pdf?nodeid=4230517&vernum=0>.

Best regards,

Paul E. (Marbux) Merrell, J.D.

--
Universal Interoperability Council