Subject: Re: [office-comment] ODF 1.2 References

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 8:22 AM,  <robert_weir@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Fair enough.  This may be redundant for the ISO version, but certainly
> this is important to cite for the OASIS version of ODF 1.2, since the
> default practice in OASIS is to use the IETF vocabulary.

I just remembered that this is addressed in the OASIS Guidelines for
Writing Conformance Clauses:

"Alternative keywords

"Some OASIS specifications are intended for advancement to other
bodies such as ISO/IEC and ITU-T. In those cases it is permissible to
use the ISO keywords instead of the default RFC 2119 ones. *A
specification that makes use of ISO keywords MUST explicitly declare
this in the specification."*

<http://docs.oasis-open.org/templates/TCHandbook/ConformanceGuidelines.html#_Toc170119662>.

However, in the preface, the Guidelines say they are not mandatory:

"While it is not a requirement to follow these guidelines, it is
recommended that TC adopt the advice herein in order to achieve
consistency across OASIS specifications."

This would seem to indicate that the "MUST" in the "MUST explicitly
declare this" phrase should instead be a "SHOULD." Go figure. :-)

I think your observation that JTC 1 can yank the reference if they
don't like it is the right approach. Better to err on the side of too
many citations at this stage rather than too few.

Best regards,

Paul

--
Universal Interoperability Council