Subject: Re: [office-comment] draw:extrusion-first-light-harsh (ODF all versions)

Alex,

Alex Brown wrote:
> 18.162:
>
> ----b
> The draw:extrusion-first-light-harsh attribute specifies if the first
> light is harsh.
> ----e
>
> It's almost poetic, but I'm not sure a clean-room developer is going to
> be able to implement it.
>
> Please define what constitutes "harsh" light.

This raises an interesting question, your other comments are noteworthy
as well but this one is particularly so.

I draw you attention to Annex D of Part 2 of the ISO/IEC Guidelines
which reads in part:

> Any term which is not self-explanatory or commonly known and which can
> be differently
> interpreted in different contexts shall be clarified by defining the
> relevant concept.
In this particular context, the question is to who would the definition
of "harsh" lighting be commonly known?

I certainly don't know what it means but then I am not the sort of
person who would be implementing the graphics portion of ODF 1.2.

The term "harsh" does not appear in "Computer Graphics: Principles and
Practice" Second Edition in C by Foley, et. al., but I cite for your
amusement a Photoshop tutorial that purports to be about "harsh"
lighting: http://www.rnel.net/tutorial/Photoshop/8263.

Personally I don't think I know any more about "harsh" lighting after
reading the "tutorial" other than it is "commonly seen in urban portrait
or fashion photography." I am not sure that would be a helpful
definition. ;-)

There are standards, X3D comes to mind, that have lighting definition
systems. See www.web3d.org.

All of this is to suggest that perhaps the term "harsh" lighting has a
common interpretation in the graphic community that isn't known to those
of us more at home in the markup community.

Speaking strictly for myself personally, I am hopeful that in a future
release ODF will adopt by reference the current version of X3D. One of
the hallmarks of standards (at least to me), being their use of other
standards.

Hope you are looking forward to a great weekend!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net