Subject: Re: [office-formula] VALUEL parameters?

I'm not sure this is going to work in general.  There are calendars supported by Excel for example which don't use simple constant delimiters for dates.  In any case, is it enough to say the date separator is '-' and then allow 01-01-06 as well as Jan-01-06?  Things get tricker in East Asian locales, where you need to deal with things like traditional Japanese dates, based on the imperial era, where today is H18.7.18.  With currency we would need to handle that some currencies put the symbol before the number, others after.  Numbers need to deal with thousands separators as well as decimal separators since they are reversed in some locales.  That's the stuff that comes to my mind, but I'm not an expert in this area.    It can get very complicated.  No one wants to reinvent this stuff.

Also, I'm not sure the cost for implementers to know all locales is really that high.  Support is built-in to Java, and ICU4C is available on 25 platforms, so any implementation that wants to support all locales can do so.

-Rob