Subject: Re: [office-formula] Call for volunteers, undefined functions,plan for this week... and a THANKS to Andreas Guelzow

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 21:55 -0500, David A. Wheeler wrote:
> DATESTRING
Where does this function come from?

> NETWORKDAYS (note: internationalization issues)
> WORKDAY (note: internationalization issues)
> HYPERLINK (note: weird semantics, we may not want it in the spec)
> RTD
Where does this function come from?

> CELL
This function is a nightmare. For example in Excel & Gnumeric
=cell("format",A1) returns G if A1 is still in General format, whatever
that means. In other words it exposes internal format descriptors.

> CURRENT (tricky semantics)
I am not quite sure what this is really supposed to do but if it gives
the current selection (just a guess) then this is a problem for any
application providing multiple views on the same spreadsheet since the
current selection could be view specific.

> GETPIVOTDATA
> LOOKUP
> FREQUENCY
> GROWTH
If "GROWTH function applies the ``least squares'' method to fit an
exponential curve to your data and predicts the exponential growth by
using this curve. GROWTH returns an array having one column and a row
for each data point in @new_x." is really correct then that shouldn't be
to tricky.

> HYPGEOMVERT
Is this hypgeomdist, but in german? I am pretty sure the german and
english answers ought to be the same. (*and a web search seems to confirm this.)

> BAHTTEXT (should probably remove)
It really doesn't make sense to have a function to translate a number
into a textual number followed by the name for the Thai currency in
Thai. It would make more sense to have a function that returns a textual
number in the locale language.

> ASC
In MS Excel (tm) ASC converts 2 byte string into single byte text. We
may need to support that function for compatibility but without
specifying storage format for strings I don't see how we could define
this reasonably.

Andreas

--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences