Subject: RE: [office-formula] Data types

I think this is a good idea, although we might need to be careful.  The XML
Schema Part 2 data types are tied very much to syntactic expression in XML
documents.  That might work but it is not quite the same as talking about
the data type of the value as it exists ephemerally in the hosting
implementation of an evaluator and is taken in and delivered out to the
application.

I'm not sure how we make the bridge between what the implementation has and
what might be persisted as a calculation result or a value that is taken
into a calculation.

The XML Schema Part 2 might help, but we need to look more closely.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Durusau [mailto:patrick@durusau.net]
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2010 12:30
To: office-formula@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [office-formula] Data types

Greetings,

For the agenda tomorrow, can the data types in chapter 3 be on the agenda?

Question: For datatypes defined in XML Schema part 2, is the a reason we
can't use that as a reference?

I realize that for REFERENCE, REFERENCELIST that we have to define those
but that is a far smaller number than the ones we define now. (And
thanks to David the world now has a workable definition of
basis/yearfrac. Worth all the effort for that alone.)

I won't delete the material pending our discussion tomorrow.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)