Subject: Re: [office-formula] Data types

Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 01/19/2010 11:05:58 AM:

> Eike Rathke wrote:
> > Hi Patrick,
> >
> > On Monday, 2010-01-18 15:29:48 -0500, Patrick Durusau wrote:
> >

> >> For the agenda tomorrow, can the data types in chapter 3 be on the
agenda?

> >> Question: For datatypes defined in XML Schema part 2, is the a reason
we
> >> can't use that as a reference?
> >>

> > As I mentioned in my previous mail in the reply to the document
upload,
> > we (you and me and Michael and David, IIRC) discussed that some months
> > ago. There are differences between the XML datatypes and the types we
> > define. OpenFormula also does not define an XML model, I don't see
> > a reason why we should reference XML datatypes if those types are not
> > identical.

Another example:  some of the character processing functions, the ones
that convert characters from legacy codepages, can return Unicode
characters that our outside of the character repertoire permitted by
xsd:string.

Now you might think this is a horror, but it has legitimate uses, such as
in a formula expression that converts a string, does an IF() test to see
if the character is in a permitted range, and if not, then returns a
permitted value.

For example:

IF([.A1]>9;CHAR([.A1]);" ")

Although CHAR([.A1]) may return a Unicode character that is not permitted
in XML (not even via a numerical character entity), there is nothing that
prevents it from being used in a calculation.  Thus, the runtime types of
OpenFormula are broader than the XSD datatypes.

-Rob