Subject: Reluctantly...

Greetings!

I have very reluctantly concluded that Dennis is correct about the lack
of top down architecture in the current draft.

Part of the problem and delay has been that I kept trying to force the
text, as written, into some semblance of being an architecture.

What I kept missing was that all the asides, the examples, and even the
test cases, had as an agenda to specify what was lacking in the prose.

For example, the discussion yesterday that turns out to depend upon a
sub-type of an array, known as a column or row vector. Those terms are
in the text and the examples (sort of) make it clear what is meant, but
that isn't how standards are written.

We had a similar situation with YEARFRAC and eventually that resulted in
answers that I think will benefit everyone who uses YEARFRAC, rather
than just saying this is the way it is. If you recall, David Wheeler
came up with expressions that accurately generate the results for the
various options for YEARFRAC.

I think the overall structure is sound, so we won't have to delay the
CD-1 draft. It will mean that additional data types, for instance, will
be necessary to specify the rules that now appear as asides, mentions,
examples, etc.

The up side is that we will be able to clearly say what the rules are in
fact and not depend upon someone noticing a prior example that gave the
rule needed for some particular operation. The down side is that we need
to isolate all those places so we can extract the necessary rules and
formalize them.

The more quickly those places are identified and the rules stated, the
more quickly a top down architecture can be fitted onto chapter 5 and
verified.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34