Subject: new bib example (firefox extension)

Hi All,

An interesting case study that just went into private beta, and will
soon be going public:

	<http://zotero.org>

I've been working with one of their developers who is implementing
support for my Citation Style Language (CSL), as well as using some of
my RDF work for import/export.

OK, so what's interesting for us?

Well, this is a Firefox extension, using the new Unified Storage
support in 2.0. So they are storing their data in an embedded SQL
database (SQLite).

If you look at the screenshot, they're actually doing a nice job
exploiting the relational db. So you see nested collections (folders)
where users can drag-and-drop their references, "smart collections"
(named queries), notes, etc. These are all properly normalized, with
separate tables for it all.

So where does RDF come in?

They wanted an easy way to express the relations (tags, notes,
collections, attachments, creators, etc.) in consistent ways so they
could reliably import and export it all.

So when they have a server setup for example (the next step), they'd
want to be able to sync user data across local browsers, suck in data
to send back recommendations (a la social network software) and so
forth.

And they have found RDF much easier to use for this than any
alternatives.

So here we have a practical example of what I'm talking WRT to
extensibility. A lot of those relations they might want to transport
would be fairly specific to their application (though I hope we'll see
more projects support them over time when they see how useful they
are), and in any case not something important to ODF per se. What
matters to ODF is primarily the data to format the citations and
bibliographic entries.

But this project might well want to transport that extended metadata
along with the stuff that is standardized (title, date, etc.).

They are really interested, BTW, in plugging into desktop applications.
Not surprisingly, their first step will be Word. But am hoping to
convince them the second ought to be ODF (and probably OOo in fact).
One of their developers has read my requirements, and was happy with
them.