Subject: Re: [office-metadata] RDF/XML and XPath

On Feb 9, 2007, at 12:28 PM, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 -
Hamburg wrote:

>> In the preferred implementation, you don't care about the XML. You
>> load the RDF/XML into an in-memory model, and access triples as
>> needed. You come across a URI in a metadata field, for example, and
>> you simply access the triples for it.
>
> Maybe that's the misunderstanding. The text field that has the XPath
> expression is not a meta data field from the RDF perspective, so you
> don't come across it.

Ah; that indeed was a misunderstanding.

So then are you saying that in essence it is not in content metadata?
It's just a way to create and display XML data that happens to be RDF?

If that's the case, I don't see how it's our concern? I don't really
see what we would put in the ODF spec that would pertain to this,
except constraints on the syntax.

E.g. we've been asked to come up with a generic mechanism to describe
metadata and to associate it with content. Does XForms -- a UI
technology -- really fit our requirements? I know I've asked something
like this before, but it was when I was assuming something else.

Finally, WRT to the above, how would you then categorize a citation
field, which includes meta:resource references to RDF resources? Is
that in-content metadata? I'd say yes.

But this then raises the question: when does one use XForms, and when
the metadata field? And why two approaches?