Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Agreement on annotating content with RDFattributes

Hi Bruce,

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2007, at 2:57 PM, Svante Schubert wrote:
>
>>> I want to stop right here and ask us to clarify this use case. What
>>> *exactly* is a user wanting to do here? Please explain in the
>>> language of a user; not an implementor.
>> The user got from a different RDF application his VCard XML written in
>> RDF/XML document.
>> As the user wants to sent VCard RDF data to some server, he decided to
>> use XForms technology ...
>
> All of this I understand, and that's fine.
>
>> ... to attach his VCard Data to the content the String "Schuster" in
>> our case. ;-)
>
> This part is unclear to me. Why does the user need to "attach" the data
> to the string?

That's the same question as: Why does the user should use a text field
to display a date or should use styles. It dramatically simplifies
document creation an processing. You can exchange the vCard entry, and
your document gets updated. And you don't run into the issue that you
have a triple in the RDF-XML in your vCard, and the same one in the
document multiple times, and never know whether to update the other
triples if one is changed by the user.

> This is a serious question. If all we're talking about is editing via
> XForms, then that's fine, but that's different than the user just
> wanting to reference a patient, say, and for it to display a certain way.

It's not about editing. It's about a binding between data in the RDF-XML
instance and a literal that is displayed in the document.

> To me the first one is outside this SCs scope. As I said before, great
> to see you want to use XForms for editing of this stuff, but there are
> many ways to do this. (Likely the best way is to use a domain-specific
> XML language, and convert it to RDF/XML using XSLT if you need to).
>
>> But if you dislike XForms, just think of a paragraph, where he wrote
>> this string into.
>
> Just to be clear, I have nothing against XForms. I just have something
> against *requiring* it to implement metadata support.

As Svante said above, XForms is already there, and I don't think you
have to implement XForms anywhere, if you want to provide metadata for a
document, or want to extract it.

> Bruce

Michael