Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Metadata text fields

On Feb 22, 2007, at 1:17 PM, Svante Schubert wrote:

> Exactly, it depends on the vocabulary being used. Therefore the
> only one, who the grammar knows and might keep consistency
> correctly is the RDF application (plug-in).

That's not quite my point. My point is it's not anybody's business to
constrain how a user enters a literal of this sort. If it's a
literal, then its up to the user.

I think the use cases you're imagining here (including option of pop-
up GUIs and such) are more about resources, frankly, than literals.
This is why I'm trying to separate them a bit in this discussion.

>>> Can you give me the RDF triples you are telling here and do you
>>> refer to the RDF/XML spec when you talk about a resource? Any link?
>>> Would not be one triple sufficient for the beginning?
>>
>> Triple is:
>>
>> <urn:uuid:813471381547574057> dc:creator <http://ex.net/
>> people#patrick> .
>>
> Thanks. Isn't there a further RDF statement about the relation of
> the string 'Patrick Durusau' and some of the RDF IRIs?

The display string there, I am saying, is not per se our problem. As
Elias and I mentioned, it might be that we have a convention that
says to use the rdf:value propety by default, or whatever. As I have
it above, I am assuming a user might be supplying the display string,
just as they would when adding a hyperlink to a document.