Subject: Re: [office-metadata] summarizing recent suggestions

Hi Bruce,

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2007, at 8:44 AM, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 -
> Hamburg wrote:
>
>>> The above is a generalization of the citation field, adapted for the
>>> new metadata support. It is also similar to how MS does this, BTW.
>>> What I encode in two meta:link elements, they encode in a single dumb
>>> attribute (which would be really ugly to process with XML tools, BTW).
>>
>> Yes, I do understand that, and I have no objections to providing
>> additional information in the content. But since we have the option to
>> specify that as meta data, too, I would suggest that we look deeper
>> into that idea if we agreed on the remaining issues.
>
> OK. I just thought you agreed that putting all the field logic (the
> resource URIs and parameters) outside the content may not be the best idea.

My reply was confusing, sorry. I think what must have in the content is
enough information to efficiently update the field. Having some kind of
type (as suggested by you) and a link to the RDF/XML streams that
contains the real meta data (as suggested by me) should be sufficient.
Having just an id that is referenced from an arbitrary RDF/XML stream
probably isn't.

Having more information in the content, for instance parameters for the
string that should be displayed, is a good idea, but I think we can go
with having that data in the metadata itself, provided that we can
locate that metadata efficiently.

Is that clearer now?

> That existing fields in ODF don't contain that information in content is
> a function of the fact that those fields are really simple, and fixed.
> What we are providing here is a much more powerful -- custom -- field
> option, so it makes sense it will be a little more complex.
>
> In any case, I'm happy to defer this decision until everything else is
> settled. Just so long as my use case can be adequately supported in 1.2.

I think this will be the case, since we have already agreed on the
citation field. It will become part of ODF 1.2 in any case, but we of
cause have the chance to adapt it.

> Bruce

Michael

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org