Subject: Re: [office-metadata] clarifying fields and metadata

On Mar 13, 2007, at 12:53 PM, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> And guess what: MS implements citations in OOXML using custom
> fields and schema support. And they use IDs in attributes with
> parameter flags to configure the formatting.

Just in case anyone is interested, here's an example from OOXML:

<http://www.users.muohio.edu/darcusb/images/cites/oxml-multi-cites.jpg>

The two reference sources in the field are identified with the local
(to the custom schema file) natural language IDs "Doe" and "Doe 1"
and that attribute contains additional parameter flags.

The w:t element is read-only display text, but can be flattened for
local editing.

The field is generic, and used for a variety of different (metadata
related) functionality.

The source data is encoded using custom schema support.

Conceptually this part is very similar to what we are doing, with the
primary difference being we have a common and standard model, and we
use URIs for association. But worth noting they allow references to
multiple sources in the field.