Subject: Fields question

Greetings,

Something to think about between now and our meeting.

Curious about the question of the "semantics" of a field.

I am assuming that a field is something that has content supplied based
upon some mechanism.

That is that a field per se really has no semantics.

Assuming that we attach metadata to a field, then the field has content
if there is a plugin that processes the metadata and supplies the
content. What semantics that has is really up to the metadata and its
plugin.

Reasoning that we could do something similar to what is done with data
pilot. If a field has been filled by an ODF application with the
appropriate metadata plugin, then that information persists even if the
document is opened with an ODF application that does not have the
appropriate plugin. Thinking that takes care of the cases where a user
may not have the appropriate plugin.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

--