Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Re: preserving metadata (was deadlines?)

Greeting!

OK, let's walk through this together as this is *not* a TC charter issue.

1. Every standard has to declare (well good ones anyway) how certain
control terms are used within the standard for interpretation.

2. Those terms are usually shall, shall not, etc.

3. Those terms apply *only* to interpretation of that standard.

4. Those rules of interpretation do *not* apply to other standards
(unless they choose to adopt them).

What does that mean for ODF?

Take for example xml:id, which is going to appear in the metadata work.

The XML specification, with its rules of interpretation, determine the
fundamental characteristics of xml:id. Such as what constitutes a valid
xml:id.

ODF will be using xml:id and so the fundamental definition of xml:id is
drawn from the XML specification. But, that does not mean that ODF has
to use the same rules for interpretation as the XML specification.

ODF will declare where it is permissible to have an xml:id. That is not
declared in the XML specification. And, ODF has adopted the ISO
definitions for interpretatoin of its rules for the use of xml:id.

So, the definition of xml:id is governed by the XML specification and
its rules of interpretation and the places where an xml:id can appear in
an ODF document instance is governed by ODF and its rules of interpretaton.

That is to say that every standard gets to pick the rules by which it is
to be interpreted.

The switch to the ISO definitions was as a result of comments received
during the ISO process and the amended ODF version was approved with
those changes by the TC.

I repeat, this has nothing to do with interoperability or the TC
charter. It is solely an issue of a standard choosing the rules by which
it will be interpreted.

Does that help?

Hope you are having a great weekend!

Patrick

PS: Compatibility with XML means only that we don't change any of the
defined terms or rules of XML. We don't. Remember that XML is a
metalanguage that is used to define other languages. All compatibility
means is that we use the metalanguage as defined. Which we do.

--
Patrick Durusau
Patrick@Durusau.net