Subject: RE: [office] Clarifications

Hi Daniel

*text-global
So what elements would be allowed in text-global vs. text?

*image
I really have three reasons to think office:image is an interesting
genre. I'm not sure myself if this is a compelling enough case to
include office:image but I though I'd throw it out there and see how
people respond.

1.
Having office:image seems to me to add completeness and consistency to
the spec even if the use cases for an office document over a .gif or
.jpeg are not seriously compelling.

2.
The current spec allows draw:image to include inline binary (BASE64)
data for the image right in the office file so there is not necessarily
a separate linked image. A "single image" office file can stand on its
own.

3.
When processing (especially conversion and rendering) of these types of
formats it is often very useful to branch on the difference between a
standalone image and a drawing. A image can usually be rendered or
converted fairly directly while a drawing usually takes a 2D drawing
engine of some kind to render or convert. If we leave the spec with just
office:drawing then we put the consumer in a situation where it must
look inside the drawing to determine if its contents are a single image
or a real set of drawing primitives. I should note that this is more of
an optimization issue than anything else but it is a real one that we
(Stellent) have run into many times.

-Phil