Subject: Re: [office] outline-level for heading styles : missing?

Hi David,

David Faure wrote:
> In an OO document, "Heading 3" is the style used for text:h of level 3,
> but when simply reading the styles information from the document (not the text),
> how does one find out that "Heading 3" is
> 1) a heading style
> 2) the heading style for level 3
> ?
> Is this only incurred from the name?
>

> <text:h text:style-name="Heading 3" text:level="3" >Heading</text:h>
> is clear when parsing a given header. But I'm talking about the parsing of
> the (user-visible) styles themselves, so none of the <text:h> information is available.
>
> To ask the question otherwise, how does OO know that when the user selects
> "Heading 3", this should create a <text:h> and not a <text:p>, given that nothing
> in the definition "Heading 3" marks it as a heading?

Currently, OOo knows this only if the "Heading 3" style is used already,
because then the "Heading 3" style is referenced by the <text:h>
element. If "Heading 3" is not used or if only the styles are read, this
information is lost. That's a bug, that we can solve with the OASIS
format. See below.

> My proposal: add a text:outline-level="3" attribute to <style:style> for heading styles,
> and (as a comment) make it mandatory that this attribute is written out for heading styles.

This attribute is existing already. It is called
style:default-outline-level. We have added it on October the 20th. I've
added its description to the spec today, so it will be in draft 7.