Subject: Re: [office] Fwd: [odf-devel] ODF & ITS

Hello Dave,

Dave Pawson wrote:

>On 22/03/06, Charles-H.Schulz <charles-h.schulz@arsaperta.com> wrote:
>

>>In theory, if you use an encoding that is different from utf-8 the xml
>>files will get broken and so will be the entire document (at least it
>>won't be human readable).
>>

> All XML processors MUST accept the UTF-8 and UTF-16 encodings of
>Unicode [Unicode];
>
>sourced from
>http://www.w3.org/TR/xml11/#charsets
>
>If what you say is incorrect, then ODF isn't an XML application?

No, I'm just saying that xml processors seem to work sometimes with non
UTF compliant encodings. Besides, and that's the main point, a migration
or the forced use of UTF-8 encodings may stirr problems in some cases
and some parts of the world. I am thinking especially to some eastern
european languages, but surely some asian and CTL languages are affected
as well.
Now, all this is not a real xml problem, it is an encoding problem. But
in the context of the ODF development, it may be worth taking a look at
potential work arounds.

Best,

--
Charles-H.Schulz,