Subject: Re: [office] Fwd: [odf-devel] ODF & ITS

Hello Daniel,

Daniel Carrera wrote:

> Charles-H.Schulz wrote:
>
>> In theory, if you use an encoding that is different from utf-8 the xml
>> files will get broken and so will be the entire document (at least it
>> won't be human readable). That said, it is not always the case.
>> Maybe we should try to see what could be done in regard of ODF and
>> 'unorthodox' encodings.
>> If someone has an idea here, feel free to comment.
>

> Is there any encoding that can represent characters that cannot be
> represented in UTF-8? If so, we may have an issue. If not, then we
> should just require UTF-8. Unicode is supposed to be able to represent
> any character from other encodings. I don't know if it actually does
> that, but I'm not aware of any encoding that can't be mapped to Unicode.

Well, I think you're right to the point, Daniel. In theory every
possible character can be represented in UTF-8.
Politely put, I would just say that this is true, although it is not
always done properly. In short, UTF -8 is supposed to do that, but
sometimes it actually fails to provide a correct rendering of
characters... UTF-8 us a valuable effort for rendering every possible
characters out there, but it is really a double-edged sword in this context.

Best,

--
Charles-H.Schulz,
Associé / Associate,