Subject: Re: [office] Bi-directional text.

Regarding the Egyptian comments, there were three points:
1. text orientation and writing direction
2. digits from different scripts
3. calendars

Ad 1, I believe we have covered this and I am currently of the optinion
that the combination of directional attributes in OpenDocument, the
unicode bidi algorithm and unicode-15.2 direction marks and signs give
us coverage of what is required.

Ad 2, any digits that have an unicode code point can be entered into an
OpenDocument document. Detecting the appropriate script and converting
digits while they are entered is an application feature and cannot be
handled by the format. As far as sorted/numbered lists are concerned,
the specification provides for a generic mechanism to specify the
applicable numbering format. See 12.2.2 in the OpenDocument
specification. Only "1, 2, 3...", "I, II, III...", and "i, ii, iii" are
explicitly mentioned in the spec, but the schema allows for a generic
string here. OpenOffice.org for instance uses this to allow numberings
according to all supported locales (including Asian and Arabic ones).

Ad 3, support for different calendar systems is described in 14.7.11:
Calendar System. The Hijri calendar is explicitly mentioned there as a
possibility. However, arbitrary strings are possible, should an
application wish to support other calendar systems...