Subject: accessibility caption proposal comments

While it's fresh in my mind, I realize that I never did lay out my
concern about the caption proposal, first asking for clarification
here:

<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200605/msg00015.html>

In general, I think examples like captions are where the accessibility
SC has identified some structural weaknesses in ODF that have broader
implications. These are partly legacy from heavily
presentation-oriented traditions in word-processors, but traditions I
strongly believe we need to evolve ODF away from. The problems include
captions, but also more difficult issues like sections, where sectional
breaks can only be inferred awkwardly. I'd like to see us move towards
more structural rigor in general; more XHTML 2.0 than 1.0.

Anyway, to get to my point on the caption proposal, I recognize that
adding an attribute link is a fairly painless solution, but I also
think it's not a good long-term one, not only because it will conflict
with the efforts of the metadata SC.

My suggestion would instead be to use natural containment, and to add a
caption element to ODF 1.2; e.g.

<text:p>
    <draw:frame>  <!-- outer frame -->
      <draw:text-box>
        <draw:frame>
          <draw:image>
            <office:binary-data>picture data
here....</office:binary-data>
            <text:caption>Caption Text</text:caption>
          </draw:image>
        </draw:frame>
      </draw:text-box>
    </draw:frame>