Subject: Re: [office] some answers regarding drawing comments

On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 09:55:41PM +0800, Zhi Yu Yue wrote:
> About the ellipticalQuadrant, my colleague and I studied the example by
> Chris, and found that ODF1.0 has defined rules for repeating commands.
>
> Chapter 9.5.3 said that, "If the command is repeated multiple times, only
> the first command is required. (e.g. "M 10 10 L 20 20 L 30 20" can also be
> expressed as followed "M 10 10 L 20 20 30 20")". Therefore, the example,
> "M 5 0 X 10 5 5 10 0 5 5 0 Z N" equals to
> "M 5 0 X 10 5 X 5 10 X 0 5 X 5 0 Z N", which is surely not a circle.

I understand your reasoning (it is certainly a valid way to read the
vague spec), but I don't agree with your conclusion.

The statement regarding repeated commands is unnecessary/misleading,
because the description of each command already denotes when multiple
parameters are allowed (e.g. "(x y)+" for lineto). The transformation
of "L 20 20 30 20" -> "L 20 20 L 30 20" works due to the nature of
lineto (and moveto) but it is not valid in general.

I think this is just an issue of the person who wrote that sentence
not understanding what the commands actually do:

- These commands are clearly the same as in VML, which also behaves
  the way I described (although the VML "spec" is silent on the issue
  of alternating tangents as well).

- Also, although I don't want to start down the slippery slope of
  using OpenOffice as a reference, it does draw a circle.

Chris