Subject: Pointers to OOXML

Greetings,

Apologies for posting to both lists but since the issue of pointing to
OOXML came up in the main TC I wanted to include readers of that list in
any following discussion.

I hope that the revised metadata proposal is going to support things
like pointing to portions of the OOXML specification that define graphic
images, such as borders, etc., which will be needed to preserve at 100%
documents written in legacy MS formats.

While I have little interest in document decoration, I suspect that
there are those who consider that to be a very important part of the
document.

In any event, I do know that graphics are often the subject of
restrictions on reproduction or use.

Even if we simply say that any decoration can be referenced by IRI, I
would like to either have a cautionary note that content from OOXML is
either in or out of bounds for such pointing. Perhaps if someone has a
licensing agreement with MS it may be permitted, etc.

This may be a non-issue but given our discussion yesterday, I think it
would be good to assure users that they can take advantage (or not) of
the rather lengthy OOXML specification in terms of indicating document
decoration and other material.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick@Durusau.net
Member, Text Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005