Subject: Re: [office] proposal to solve problem with attribute style:default-outline-level

On Tuesday 20 February 2007, Thomas Zander wrote:
> The usecase is;
>
> Paragraph Style "Header 1" with style:default-outline-level=1
> Paragraph Style "body" has as parent-style "Header 1" but is not a numbering
> style.
>
> Now, I have to ask. Why on earth would you want to have the above construct?
> The concept of inheriting styles is that you can change properties in the
> parent and they will change in the child automatically.

The concept of inheriting styles is also that the derived style can override any attribute
of its parent. Otherwise it's just an alias, not a derived style ;)

For many other attributes we already have a way to model "the parent wants <foo>
but I want <none>", I think it makes sense to add "none" for any attribute that doesn't
have it, if the attribute is not mandatory in the first place (i.e. when a style without that
attribute is allowed, and a derived style must therefore have a way to revert to "I don't
have this attribute). I don't have an example at hand but I remember distinctly that
many other attributes are used this way already.