Subject: Re: [office] proposal to solve problem with attribute style:default-outline-level

On Tuesday 20 February 2007 10:38, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann - Software
Engineer - Sun Microsystems wrote:
> I want to propose to add value "none" to attribute
> style:default-outline-level to indicate that the style has no value for
> this attribute. This will solve the following problem:
> Currently, only positive integers are allowed as values for
> style:default-outline-level. Thus, in a ODF document the following style
> constellation can't be expressed:
> - Style A is specified to have a default outline level with value 2
> (style:default-outline-level="2").
> - Style B is specified to have style A as its parent and to have no
> default outline level.
> The problem is, that if attribute style:default-outline-level is missing
> in style B, it inherits the value from its parent style A. Thus,
> attribute style:default-outline-level has to be defined for style B.
> But, in this case currently no appropriate value exists to express, that
> style B has no default outline level.
> The new proposed value "none" will solve this problem.

The usecase is;

Paragraph Style "Header 1" with style:default-outline-level=1
Paragraph Style "body" has as parent-style "Header 1" but is not a numbering
style.

Now, I have to ask. Why on earth would you want to have the above construct?
The concept of inheriting styles is that you can change properties in the
parent and they will change in the child automatically.

Making validation of this field impossible (due to it not being a number
anymore) needs a bit more justification then a weird usecase that is trivial
to avoid by any application.
--
Thomas Zander

PGP signature