Subject: Re: [office] List Proposal Vote Deadline on Wednesday

Hi,

marbux wrote:

> What conceivable motive would Florian have for raising the
> interoperability issue other than the fact that he can't find a way
> around it? I'm mindful here that Florian has been fairly wallowing in
> ODF-MS Office interop development work for quite some time. In fact,
> he's part of the only development team in existence that is working on
> full fidelity ODF interop with MS Office, so I'm inclined to take his
> warning seriously.

Sorry, but I know at least one other team, that is working for years (!)
on interoperability with Microsoft Office file formats. It's the
OpenOffice.org development team, especially the OpenOffice.org
developers from Sun Mircosystems. I'm proud to be part of this team.
First, its work was based on the OpenOffice.org file format. Since the
existence of ODF and its implementation in OpenOffice.org this team
works on the ODF - Microsoft Office file formats interoperability. The
resulting filters and converters are of extraordinary quality.

Be sure, that I have no interest in submitting a proposal to the ODF TC
that would cause, that an interoperability between ODF and Microsoft
Office file formats isn't possible any more. Currently, I see no problem
in the conversion from ODF to Microsoft Word file formats and vice versa
regarding lists/numbered paragraphs.

Regards, Oliver.

Sun Microsystems GmbH    Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
Nagelsweg 55             Software Engineer - StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
20097 Hamburg
Germany
http://www.sun.de        mailto:oliver-rainer.wittmann@sun.com
                   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
                 Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Marcel Schneider, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer