Subject: Re: [office] List Proposal Vote Deadline on Wednesday

On 5/2/07, Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 03 May 2007 11:04:32 you wrote:
> > Probably including me. :-) But how do you emulate a 3-key model in a
> > 2-key model?
>
> Its the other way around; WW has a 2 key model, with this vote ODF has a 3
> key model.  So its simple to emulate a 2 key model in a 3 keys one by
> ignoring one key.

Am I wrong that it isn't all one way? The Foundation is working on a
plugin for Microsoft Office and so is Sun, as I understand the
situation. Won't they have to somehow implement a 3-key model in a
2-day model in their plugins, given that they can't rewrite MS Word's
page layout engine?

[more]

> Now; I'm afraid I won't go into details on the rest of your mail.  I said
> that as far as I know there is no such problem as you state there is, and
> there are quite some people on this list that share my feelings.
> In fact; even Florian never stated clearly that he thinks its impossible
> to have full interop with the now ok-ed proposal.
>
> I understand you have worries, and I fully agree that full interop is
> important. I'm surprised you do not know this since we have been talking
> for a long time now.

I thought I knew that, which is why I was surprised you would press a
vote on the issue without knowing whether it would create an
interoperability barrier with MS Office.

[more]

> I also understand that with some 4 people on the TC not sharing your
> worries, and you still feel worried that the only way to solve this issue
> is to actually go ahead and implement this stuff.  Which means research
> and which means it will take time. I don't do this as a full time job,
> and your pressuring me does not have any positive effect. Sorry.
>
> Bottom line;
> I think the worries are unfounded.  If you have proof to the opposite, we
> can talk. If not, I hope you will not make a scene.

Please help me here, Thomas. In particular, I need to know whether
this barrier -- if it proves to be a barrier -- will be fixed before
ODF 1.2 is released for a  ballot by the OASIS membership. I really
need to know how long you expect me to wait and whether you will
commit to not releasing ODF 1.2 without first resolving the
interoperability issue and fixing the problem if necessary. You have
already said that the interoperability still has to be researched more
before we can give a good judment on whether it creates an MS
Office-interop barrier.  That uncertainty is unacceptable to me,
particularly absent a commitment to resolving the issue and fixing the
specification if needed before ODF 1.2 is released.

As I explained, I'm dead in the water on my ODF advocacy work until
this issue is resolved and I am unwilling to accept an open-ended
postponement of its resolution, particularly in the absence of a
commitment to fix the problem if it turns out there is a barrier. I
believe I've done yeoman work in ODF advocacy and that a lot of people
have relied on what I said about ODF and interoperability with MS
Office. I strongly believe I have an ethical responsibility to let
those folks know that the TC's commitment to interop with MS Office
has gone up in smoke, if that is what has happened.

Right now, I'm feeling like the TC's vote has left my personal
credibility lying naked on the chopping block. Suggesting that I leave
it there indefinitely is not acceptable. Under the circumstances, I do
not believe I am out of line in rejecting that solution. I need to
know where you  -- and the voting members -- stand on a timeline to
resolution and a commitment to fixing the problem if there is one
before ODF 1.2 is released by the TC. Otherwise, I see no alternative
but to bring as much pressure to bear as I can. This is despite my
personal feelings of friendship with you.

Best regards,

Marbux