Subject: Re: [office] table:filter-condition extension proposal

Hi Kohei,

On Wednesday, 2007-06-13 14:58:08 -0400, Kohei Yoshida wrote:

>    <filter-set-item>
>       John Doe
>    </filter-set-item>
>
> How should we interpret this?  Is the leading whitespace significant in
> this case, or not?

It is, see ODF section 1.6 "White-Space Processing and EOL Handling".

> There is also a line break right after the opening
> element.  Should we take it, or not?

Again yes. There would also be a line break before the closing element.

> If we use an attribute for this, however, things are a little less
> complicated, because (as I understand it) line breaks are not allowed in
> an attribute, and if there is a leading and trailing whitespace in the
> value, it is more explicit.  For instance, given the following:
>
>    <filter-set-item table:value="   John Doe"/>
>
> We can easily see that the leading whitespace there is significant, and
> evaluate it as such.

In an element you'd easily see that as well. In general I agree with
voices saying that usually elements are preferable over attributes as
soon as the content looks like data ... additionally we'd just introduce
an element to be able to assign one attribute with content, so why not
just use the element for the content instead?

I don't really oppose your attribute approach though, I just don't see
a real advantage.

  Eike