Subject: Re: [office] Chart Data Label Positions

On Monday 20 August 2007, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> David Faure wrote:

> >> I don't object to the labels per se, north, north-west, if that
> >> is an easy mnemonic but am concerned that we give those terms precise
> >> meaning.
> > To be honest I'm not sure why we use north/west/south/east instead of top/left/bottom/right.
>
> I'd MUCH prefer the latter.

I asked the kdchart developers and they convinced me:
We have to realize that both position and alignment are used together.
So when reading "west, right" you know it means "west position, right alignment" without ambiguity.
However if we were using top/left/bottom/right for the position, it would read like
"left,right" or "left position, right alignment", it gets confusing.

I think the precise meaning of north/west/etc. is quite clear; "west from the item"
does mean on the left of the item, and "right-alignment" means the text is right-aligned
with the left (the west side) of the item.

Using a different set of nouns simply makes the matter clearer, it avoids confusion
between position and alignment.