Subject: Re: [office] Drawing page names (Re: [office] OpenDocument TC MeetingMinutes 2006-02-13)

Hi David,

David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 22 November 2007, Michael Brauer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> while integrating this proposal into the specification, I noticed that
>> it would cause an inconsistency for tables:
>>
>> Tables are not per se graphical objects, so it seems a little bit
>> uncommon to add svg elements to them. We had a similar situation for
>> hyperlinks, where we use an "office:title" attribute instead. I
>> therefore suggest that we reuse the office:title attribute for tables,
>> and add an office:desc attribute, too.
>
> I'm a bit confused, because this proposal was about drawing pages only, not
> about tables, wasn't it? I don't mind that we're talking about a title for
> tables since my post from yesterday wants "unique name separated from
> user-visible title" for tables too, but I'm just surprised :)

You are right. We first talked about drawing pages, but Malte noticed
that we have the same or at least a very similar issue for tables, and
suggested to add a title and description to them, too.

We don't say this explicitly in the ODF spec, but I think in practice,
table names are already unique, because formulas simply don't work if
the table names would not be unique. But we of cause need to discuss
whether we want to enforce this in the future, as you have suggested.

>> I further suggest that specify that the two attributes are ignored, if
>> the table element is a child of an draw:frame element, because in this
>> situation, the frame itself has a title and a description.
>
> This confuses me too. table:table cannot be a direct child of draw:frame, can it? (or is this new in odf-1.2?)

This is new in ODF 1.2. We added that to get support for tables within
presentations.

> Or do you mean with a draw:text-box as intermediary? But then you could have
> other text before and after the table and then a title+description for the table still makes sense...

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

        D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten