Subject: Re: [office] Possible teleconference with Burton

Duane,

Yes, I was aware of that, although not from the MS news release.

It is problematic because the mapping is not part of the standard. You
and I may reach different conclusions about what parts of the binary
maps to what part of DIS 29500 and there is no standard to which we can
conform. Granted, the results of an open source project could be turned
into a standard and most likely will be.

Question: What is the purpose of an open source project when a vendor,
in this case Microsoft, obviously already has such a mapping in place to
convert from legacy files to OpenXML?

I want Microsoft to have the credit, I would just like for it to be
credit for having such a mapping in DIS 29500.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

PS: And no, I am not one of those who want to simply bash Microsoft
about OpenXML. I think the recent activity by TC 45 to produce all the
answers in ISO was quite remarkable, despite the fact that I continue to
disagree with some of the resolutions. That does not take anything way
from TC 45 and its members for having done a quite remarkable job.