Subject: Source table for charts, was: Re: [office] Associating a shape withanother shape as its datasource

Hi,

based on the conversations we had regarding this topic, I'd like to
propose that we add the following section to section 10.2 "Charts":

10.2.? Source Document

The xlink:href attribute specifies the document which contains the table
that contains the chart data. The following values are supported:

- ".": The table is contained in the chart document itself.
- "..": The table is contained in the document into which the chart is
embedded. This is only supported if the chart is actually embedded into
another document.
- a relative IRI: The table is contained in the embedded document
referenced by the IRI. This embedded document must be within the same
package as the chart itself.

Note: The xlink:href attribute does specify only the document which
contains the table. The name of the table is specified by the various
cell address attributes of the chart element's child elements.

If this attribute is omitted, the chart data is taken from the table
contained in the chart document itself, if that does exist. If the chart
does not contain a table, then the chart data is taken from the document
into which the chart is embedded.

<define name="chart-chart-attlist" combine="interleave">
	<optional>
		<group>
			<attribute name="xlink:href">
				<ref name="anyURI"/>
			</attribute>
			<attribute name="xslink:type">
				<value>simple</value>
			</attribute>
		</group>
	</optional>
</define>

Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg wrote:
>> Dear TC members,
>>
> [...]
>>
>> So the extra attribute we would need in the described scenario would
>> rather be the document into which the ranges point. Currently, we have
>> two situations:
>>
>> * a chart has its own data -> means use the chart itself, i.e. "."
>>
>> * a chart takes the data from the container document -> data comes
>> from the parent stream in the package, i.e. ".."
>>
>> So, technically I would suggest an xlink:href element instead, that
>> points either to "." or to "..". In addition you could use "../Object
>> 2", where Object 2 is an embedded spreadsheet, text document or
>> whatever "data provider", like you describe in your scenario.
>
> My understanding is that the use cases of the xlink:href attribute for
> KOffice would be ".", ".." and other relative IRIs that reference an
> (embedded) document within the same package. Is that assumption correct?
>
> If yes, then I would suggest that we state in the specification that
> only these IRIs are permitted for an ODF 1.2 document. Otherwise we may
> raise the expectation that even http IRIs do work, that maybe is not the
> case for any implementation.
>
> What is your thought on this?
>
> Best regards
>
> Michael