Subject: Re: [office] YEARFRAC, etc.

Andreas,

I have asked David Wheeler to confirm but:

Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
<snip>
> If there is no "correct answer", then we may want to decide on something
> just for the sake for consistency, but clearly not if there is one.

My sympathies because I too thought there *had* to be a definition of
YEARFRAC somewhere. Simply made no sense to me that for all these years
it has not had a definition. David looked a lot longer than I did but we
both came up empty. There is no "correct answer" for YEARFRAC.

Even more disturbing, David reports (and I believe him) that banks buy
electronic calculators for some financial calculations because they
"like" the answers. Yes, they have no idea why the answer is produced
but they like the results of a particular brand of calculator. Maybe
that is the reason why some of their calculations are so far removed
from any accepted economic reality.

Hope you are having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34