Subject: Re: [office] Excel 2007 != Ecma spec YEARFRAC. Not even slightly.What should we do?

Warren,

Warren Turkal wrote:
> By import filter, I meant the excel import filter for OO.o or other
> import filters for other apps. Basis==0 should have a fixed
> interpretation. It should depend on magic configuration or the like.
> Another idea also just occured to me. Why don't we just use strings to
> identify the bases. Then we could just reserve "msexcel_blah" for for
> excel.

Let me work that out to see if I understand (not necessarily the same as
agreement):

So, ODF:

Would fix an interpretation of Basis==0 (some interpretation).

Define a mapping for the various Basis==0 interpretations used by others
to some set of identifiers.

Define a mechanism, possibly a string, that identifies the "Basis==0"
used in the imported spreadsheet.

Require that the "Basis==0" "identification" be passed along with the
spreadsheet when it is exported. (Note, this is our identification of
the basis, not the original basis==0.)

And do that for each basis. Yes?

Question: I assume it is an error for a user to have a basis which we
have not identified? I am assuming that would be an edge case but I
suspect it is one that we need to provide for.

I have little faith in the notion that we can arbitrarily define unique
identifiers and expect others to use them. I realize that premise is the
basis for some major initiatives on the web but history is littered with
quests for universal identifiers, usually of the sort, "let's agree,
we'll use my identifier." Not that it doesn't work, DNS being a good
example. But that is also a case where the values have no semantic
meaning to the average user. I suspect the greater the degree of
semantic meaning to users the greater the resistance to a universal
identifier. Hard to say but I have a bad feeling about any approach that
over rides the semantics attached by users.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick