Subject: Re: [office] already accepted paragraph property style:join-border

Florian,

Florian Reuter wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> interresting idea.
>
> But I see a problem here ;-)
>
> What if you have a paragraph with a boder and 1.5 line height (style P1) and the next paragraph with a border and 1.0 line height (style P2).
> In ODF you get
> But you still want a border around them....
>
> Make sense?

So, despite the different in line spacing between the two paragraph you
still want a border? Yes?

I imagine the more likely case to be where the paragraph have different
margins, that is quite common where a long passage is quoted and the
quoted material is indented further than a "regular" paragraph to set it
off from the regular flow of text.

In that case I assume the paragraph with the wider margins should set
the location of the border that is going to surround the two paragraphs.

I think of that as being a different issue that your "determining two
borders to be the same." I saw that as a computational problem.

I do think this is more complicated that simply saying two borders are
"the same" and no more. ;-) However, I do think if we think about it we
can fashion a way to specify the behavior we want.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

>>> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200507/msg00006.html,
>>> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200507/msg00016.html and
>>> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200507/msg00022.html - had
>>> not made its way into the OpenDocument specification.
>>>
>>> I strongly propose to include this property in ODF 1.2
>>>
>>> Best regards, Oliver.
>>>

>> I have checked the proposal according action item #0008.
>>
>> The text of the proposal from Lars Oppermann is
>> <quote>
>>
>> Use the style:join-border property to specify, that a border is to be
>> extended around the next paragraph, if it's border is of the same type.
>> Borders are joined by default.
>>
>> <define name="style-paragraph-properties-attlist" combine="interleave">
>>       <optional>
>>           <attribute name="style:join-border">
>>               <ref name="boolean"/>
>>           </attribute>
>>       </optional>
>> </define>
>>
>> </quote>
>>
>>  From my point of view it is clear what the behavior under the following
>> situations is:
>> (1) Paragraph A with property style:join-border="true" followed by
>> paragraph B with property style:join-border="false".
>> (2) Paragraph A with property style:join-border="false" followed by
>> paragraph B with property style:join-border="true".
>>
>> situation (1):
>> In case that the borders of both paragraphs are same, the border of
>> paragraph A is extended around paragraph B.
>> In case that the borders of both paragraphs are not same, the border of
>> paragraph A is not extended around paragraph B.
>>
>> situation (2):
>> The border of paragraph A is not extended around paragraph B.
>>
>> conclusion:
>> Property style:join-border of paragraph A and the equality of the
>> borders of the adjacent paragraphs decide, if the border of paragraph A
>> is extended or not around paragraph B.
>> Thus, from my side no change is needed at the proposal text.
>>
>> But in spite of that I want to improve the proposal text.
>> Please consider the following change:
>> "..., if it's border is of same type." should be changed into "..., if
>> the borders of both paragraphs are the same."
>>

>> Best regards, Oliver.

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)