Subject: Re: [office] Default Values Proposal

Dave,

Dave Pawson wrote:
> 2008/7/11 Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg
> <Michael.Brauer@sun.com>:
>

>> I have further created a version of this document where attribute and
>> element cross references have been generated:
>>
>> http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office/download.php/28795/OpenDocument-v1.2-draft7-4-default-values-xref.odt
>>

> I am curious what advantage is seen by repeating information in text form
> which is available in the schema?
> Is it an attempt to make the document as long as ISO29500?

The cross-references are inserted to:

1) Be more consistent than our use of cross-references in ODF 1.0/1.1.

2) To enable users to easily find the normative text describing an
attribute for any element. True, they could consult the schema and we
could organize the prose as an alphabetical list of sections and they
could look up each attribute. The thinking was that providing
cross-references would make it easier on users to find information that
they need to for any particular element.

I don't think any of us want to make the standard any longer than necessary.
> Content models don't belong in text, they are already in the schema.

Can you point to any part of the latest version that has a "content
model?" So far as I can see Michael inserted the cross-references that
he described.

Hope you are looking forward to a great weekend!

Patrick
> regards

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34