Subject: Re: [office] the simple proposal: forwards compatibility

"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote on 07/14/2008 09:26:24 AM:

> 2008/7/14  <robert_weir@us.ibm.com>:
>
> >> If 1.2 defines a clear action on 'forwards compatibility'
> >> that might act as  guidance for retroactive action on forwards
> >> compatability?
> >>

> > We have no shortage of ways of giving guidance.  But will they listen?
>
> I'm not asking the TC for 'guidance'.
> I'm asking for a 'shall' clause.
> For forward compatibility if the version is greater than this then do X.
> Nice and simple. Clear.
> Seeks compliance or not.
> *if* implementers want guidance it is available.
> The TC can't do any more.

"guidance for retroactive action on forwards compatability" was your phrase not mine.

We cannot introduce a new "shall" for ODF 1.0 processors.  We can't do that in ODF 1.2, and we cannot do that in ODF 1.0 errata if it amounts to a "substantive change".

My additional assertion is that any ODF application that is stuck on ODF 1.0 level support is unlikely to be tracking this TC's work and will not observe any forwards-compatibility "guidance" from this TC, in whatever form it would take.