Subject: Re: [office] Glossary for 1.2

Dave,

Dave Pawson wrote:
> 2008/7/16 Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net>:

<snip>
>> That is I agree that terms should be defined but those definitions should
>> occur in context and not in a list divorced from that context.
>>

> Due to the length of the document I disagree.
> Searching for a term is horrible and wastes time in the current standard.

Ok but is this another "judgment" call as to how familiar the reader
should be with the subject matter of the standard?

Personally I wouldn't define any XML terminology or anything that is
commonly known in office markup circles.

I suppose something like "metadata manifest" which will appear for the
first time in ODF 1.2 merits a definition but that is one I would put in
context since you are unlikely to encounter it in other parts of the
standard.

Do note that we are generating extensive cross-references for elements
and attributes and it would be quite easy to do the same for "special"
terms. But I suspect it would be very limited set of terms. (I do agree
that terms of art from other standards, graphics are a good example,
should be defined by reference to the appropriate standards.)

Hope you are having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)