Subject: Re: [office] Reason for the difference in line numbering: was Re: #6.8 - Errata Review

Yes, *some* of the differences are around blank lines in the schema being
lines with text in the spec (a schema line number appears even though it is
easy to overlook).  I thought I left a note in all of the places where I
noticed that.

Because there is text on the line, I would expect that it counts as a line
in the document, especially if we produced a version with line numbers in
the margin.

I heartily agree that the errata document needs to explain how lines are
counted.

 - Dennis

PS: Beautiful morning here in Seattle.  I am enjoying coffee and the
satisfaction of having gotten through all of those line-number checks
yesterday.

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Durusau [mailto:patrick@durusau.net]
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200809/msg00029.html
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2008 06:54
To: dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Cc: office@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [office] Reason for the difference in line numbering: was Re: #6.8
- Errata Review

Dennis,

I have found the reason for the differences in our line numbering.

You are counting the line numbers in schema fragments and I am not. I
only count lines of text.

I discovered this on page 304 of ISO 26300 where you say the defect is
on line 38 and I kept coming up with line 37.

If you look closely, you will find that the schema fragment has a blank
line that is assigned a number, and if you could that line, which I
don't since I don't count blank lines elsewhere, the reason for the
difference becomes evident.

Noting that not all schema fragments have blank lines and those that
don't, our line numbering agrees.

For a while there I thought I had lost the ability to count! ;-)

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

PS: Oh, ok, so how do we number lines? Just so I can finish hand
proofing this today I am going to use your convention of relying on the
line numbers for any schema fragments. It really doesn't matter so long
as we are consistent and note the methodology in the errata report.

[ ... ]